Clinical Psychology


What do Clinical Psychologists do?

Clinical psychologists work with you to try and shed some light on any difficulties you, your family, or your child may be having. Then we think through with you what changes would be helpful, and work with you to try to help you achieve the changes that you want to achieve.

What sorts of problems can Clinical Psychologists help you with?

We work with clients with a wide range of emotional and behavioural problems, including mood disorders such as depression, anxiety problems, physical health concerns, phobias and posttraumatic stress disorder.

With children, we offer support in managing behavioural problems, coaching children as they respond to challenges, parent coaching and guidance in parenting skills, as well as working with anxiety problems and response to trauma.

What will I be asked about?

Our main aim when we meet for the first time is to listen to you so that we can come to a joint understanding of what difficulties you would like help with. In addition to learning about the problems you are experiencing, we will also be very interested to hear from you about what things have been going well and what things you enjoy.

Once we have an understanding about your challenges and strengths, we will talk with you about what we have to offer and plan a series of sessions to undertake this work together.

What sort of help can I expect?

Before we give advice about ways we may be able to help, we want to be sure we have understood the problems and shared our understanding with you. Most clients find that having a clear, agreed picture of the problems is, in itself, a major step forward in knowing what to do about them. Towards the end of your assessment, we will discuss the options for further help with you in more detail. This may include approaches such as:

  • helping you to cope better with worries, for example by teaching you relaxation techniques you may not already know.
  • Have you experienced a physical or psychological trauma, but you can’t seem to move on?
  • helping you to manage some aspect of stress or medical treatment better.
  • helping parents cope with having a child with ongoing problems.

Is a Psychologist the same as a Psychiatrist?

No. A psychiatrist is a medically-trained doctor who specialises in mental health and is qualified to prescribe medication. Clinical psychologists do not prescribe medication.

Chartered Clinical Psychologists have a minimum of eight years formal training and experience.

Clinical psychologists usually work one-to-one with clients and use their knowledge of well established psychological theories to help people with managing and overcoming their problems.

Dr Clerkin has attained Chartered Psychologist status, which means that he has at least eight years training and post qualification experience of working as a clinical psychologist (he actually has 27 years experience), and is bound by the British Psychological Society Code of Ethics. Dr Clerkin’s BPS membership Number is: 34259.

What should I do now?

If you have concerns that you feel need discussing with a psychologist, email or call us on 01244 677010 or click on the link on the left to arrange a free telephone consultation where we can discuss the situation further.

If after this, you wish to proceed, we will make an appointment to meet with you to take things further. A couple of sessions may be enough, but if more are needed, we can schedule these to meet your needs. If you have health insurance (AXA PPP Healthcare), it may be useful to check to see if your insurer covers psychological therapy.Please note that we are not registered with BUPA, so do not accept referrals froths organisation.

We look forward to being of assistance to you.

Visit Us

Clerkin Psychology Services Ltd
The Consulting Rooms
Red Hill House,
Hope Street
Chester, CH4 8BU

Contact Us

(01244) 677010